Sunday, November 05, 2006

Rough Drafts


This is the digital rough draft of a 16mm film I am going to make in a few weeks. There will be a few changes made for the film version. First, the actor will be wearing a much more traditional racquetball/tennis uniform (short shorts, matching shirt, and headband). Second, he will be holding a vase with flowers in it instead of a racquetball tube. Lastly, I hope to fix some of the things that don't work well in this version. Please give me feedback, preferably negative feedback because I want to know what to keep in mind while making the film version. Click the picture to watch the movie.

3 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Very Kracauerian. Good emphasis on the MOTION of the ball. This really sets this piece apart from any other genre. A painting or a photograph cannot capture the MOTION of the ball as the film camera can.

I was a little confused about what happened to the ball in the last quarter of the movie. If he was imagining the ball the whole time, I think you could make this clearer by using the camera to take a close-up of the man's face as he realizes it was all in his head.

This may ruin the movie, but you may want to add some dialogue explaining why this man is holding a vase. But maybe the whole point is that it's kind of inexplicable. You decide.

I like the part where the camera is following the man's feet. This emphasizes the MOTION inherent in the scene.

I noticed there is a number "14" painted on the wall inside the court. It might be nice to highlight this detail more prominently, because it's nice to have a little room for some "numerological" interpretation. 14 to me suggests Valentine's day - love, obsession, passion, etc. Was this intended?

You might want to have your actor shave his beard. I think of racketball players as a little bit more effeminate than this guy. Shaving him might make it a little more believable.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger albatross said...

it needs more irony and more brechtian. other than that i agree with dan.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Kenneth C Swoyer said...

Such a classical analysis. I filmed the actual movie today. Although I did not see Dan's analysis until today (a day after filming) I belive that it will satisfy Dan, Kracauer, and Balazs. It's funny Dan mentioned the number of the court because this time I requested court 13 and I will draw quite a bit of attention to this in the final film because of its association with the supernatural.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home